Tuesday, December 2, 2008

King Julian and The Big Christmas Party

Sunday night I was perusing Facebook, that evil web site, opiate of the masses. Or at least the middle class, as stated by a recently addicted friend. Just taking a 5 minute breather, checking things out, seein'  what's up with all my 'friends'. . . I noticed, interestingly, when scrolling down the page, that Laena's good buddy Diego proclaimed to be 'the happiest man alive'. They've been spending a lot of time together lately, so I thought I'd better ask.

I leaned back in my chair, and called her name. "Laena. . ."

She and Diego, hereafter known as/referred to as King Julian, (making reference to his middle name), have been hanging out a whole bunch these last few months. . .

She didn't answer. I had to jog it downstairs, and knock on her door. When she opened it, I asked her. "So Boogsie. . Why is Diego the happiest man alive?" At this point, she broke into a wide grin, and gave me the traditional "Why do you ask?" just slightly on the defensive. . Naturally, I rolled my eyes for effect.

"Oh, no reason. . I just happened to notice his dash there on Facebook. I read that he is evidently now 'very happy'. Why do you suppose that is?"

"Well, we're not engaged, if that's what you're thinking. . ." Still grinning.

Honestly, I have to say, the tightness in my gut relaxed a little bit, but I still wasn't entirely satisfied. I leaned against the door frame.

"So what's up?"

"Well, (and she accented the word by making quotes in the air) we're . . 'dating'. . ."

I breathed a sigh of relief, sort of. I mean, we'd figured as much. . .

"Well, we already knew that. ." I commented with mild sarcasm. . .

To my surprise, Laena burst out laughing. Apparently, she thought that me noticing his 'status' on facebook was the most amusing thing ever! She had to call and tell Diego. Ha ha ha ha ha. Very funny. And when was she planning on telling her mother, I would like to know. . ?

Fortunately, he's a good kid. Very relaxed, pretty solid. So we're not too concerned. I guess she is a senior in high school. . . Cringe. Oh, how I hate to say that out loud. Gag. How could this have happened?! Where did the last 20 years go. . exactly?! Sheesh.

On a different note. . but not really. . .

This weekend we're going to Charlie's big Coca-Cola Christmas party. There are about 6 different activities scheduled for Saturday night, but we're only gonna make one or 2 of them. Thankfully, our teenage daughter hardly ever reads my blog, so she won't know in advance that we're getting a hotel room after the party. Coke makes discounted rooms available every year, encouraging people to stay over, if they want to. Say. . . if they need to get away from the kids, and the craziness, maybe go on a nice, romantic date. . . Wow, what a concept!  : )

Anyway, we didn't want Laena to know about this prior to said romantic date. That way she has less time to set up a house party, invite the neighborhood over. . You know the drill. Like Charlie said:

"She's pretty quick as it is. . We don't want to give her any . . . lead time." : ) Chuckle.

She's had it before, and frankly, has gotten waaaaay too creative. Not that I'm terribly surprised. . . I was, in fact, a teenage girl once myself not so very long ago. . And, as many of my friends can attest, I was pretty creative . . also. . .  : )

Sigh.

Well, you know what they say. . . It's every mother's curse. Echoing in our ears, even now. . . (Cringe again.)

"I hope you have a child. . . JUST LIKE YOU!!"

Not this Christmas!

No comments: