Thursday, January 29, 2009

Pre-Twilight

Tomorrow is our twins' birthday. January 30th, 2009. There's a date that brings back memories! (shudder, sniff) And it always seems to land on Super Bowl weekend! : ) I can't believe they're as old as they are. It's insane! We must really be getting up there, if we have 2 boys that are Juniors in high school, and almost SEVENTEEN! Seems like they follow their sister so closely, that they're almost in her shadow, and tend to surprise us when they reach these types of milestones. They're right behind her, but really shouldn't be so close!

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, I started school again. Yep, went 'back to school', to see if I could improve myself through education. It was kind of an emotional experience for me, when Charlie and I were picking up books at the bookstore, and getting my student ID. . . all of that. I'd always wanted to go to college, but have never taken even one class. Well, okay, there's been a little experience picked up over the past 19 years or so, and we have sat in on some parenting classes, etc. . I suppose I would probably have earned the equivalent of at least a Master's Degree in 'the school of hard knocks', considering our lives up till now. . . But still, I have never graced the halls of a University, or even been inside a college classroom. As crazy as that sounds, it's true. And now I'm getting misty again. It really was a tender moment for me, when Charlie and I were there at SLCC, and it seemed like I was actually going to be a part of something . . alive and important.

Of course, our family is all of these things, and obviously number one, but it was still pretty cool.

Last night, as I was walking back to the parking lot, just before twilight, books in hand. . . I looked around at the frosted campus, softly lit by a dozens of muted incandescent lamps, and realized it's purpose, and the blessing that education is, in our lives.

So, we may be approaching the 'twilight' of our lives, what with all these big kids, who are soon to be going off to college themselves, and the impending onset of 'middle age'. . . (40's comin' up fast!) But I think Charlie and I have 20 or so years yet, hopefully more, to experience life, and learning, and to grow from both. : ) Here's to the dawn of my formal education, and to the 'top of the mountain' for myself and my husband, which we can hopefully enjoy more fully together, with the growing independence of our children, before we start heading 'over the hill'. ; ) And hey, it's all good! It's okay to be getting on in years. . . (ha ha) The view is sooo much better from up here!

We can see!

3 comments:

Charlie said...

Wow, Honey! I don't think we are in the 'Twilight', maybe the just before supper, with a few more 'hours' of light left. We have many, many miles to go and I'm thrilled that you will be my side. :)

Amy Mason said...

Well, considering that all of our kids are growing up so fast, and one of them is GRADUATING from high school. . . It just seems kind of like the beginning of the end for me. ; )

Unknown said...

Amy,

Wow! I love your blog. You are so articulate and well informed. I am soooooo proud of you for going back to school!!! It's so neat to hear you describe a college campus on a cold winter night. I remember feeling the exact way you described it so many times from the first time I was on the campus at the U to the moment I left from the dorms. Seeing the kids and Charly really makes me miss you guys and home. Things have been difficult this last year. I don't seem to always have the right answers any more. Hopefully with the Lords help, I'll get my old touch back. Well, keep on the straight and narrow and be safe doing it. Hey, Depeche Mode is coming out with a new album and tour; yah!!!! Take care you guys. Who knows, maybe there will be another "costume malfunction"! LOL. Love Darin (aka "Smooth " Lol)