Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Summer!

Most of yesterday afternoon, I found myself walking around in a zombie-like state, barely able to take it all in. First, Eric had awakened me with the fabulous news that he’d encountered cat vomit on his bedroom floor. Then, for the rest of the morning, we dealt with jobs, errands, and disrespectful teenagers. At some point, we picked up new shoes for Tommy. Within the hour, we discovered that he’d somehow stepped in cat poop, and completely oblivious, had ground it into the rug in several areas, while exercising downstairs. Gross! Evidently one of our cats is sick. Charlie said he’d gladly take care of the problem, but I think that might involve . . . well, anyway. . .

After lunch, we decided to make brownies, which naturally Mommy wasn’t allowed to have, because of this new-fangled “discipline” thing that I am trying out. . . During the course of preparation, our 2 year old managed to wrestle his way to the kitchen table, where he dutifully jammed both chubby hands into the gooey brown batter. It was funny to watch. He stood there for a minute, contemplating the best possible solution, and then instead of licking it off, he started shaking his hands vigorously, evidently thinking that flicking chocolate goo all over my kitchen would make things all better! Hmm. Yeah, I think all of us old people should just totally avoid brownies. I could eat a whole pan full by myself, but that’s just not a good idea. : )

A few minutes later, I discovered that same 2 yr old, trying to drink contraband strawberry lemonade through a Darth Vader mask that his mischievous siblings had stolen from the big boys’ room. I can’t imagine how people do this all day. Home school! Seriously?! What crazy shmoe thought of THAT?! I can barely handle them in the afternoon/evening! Ahhhhhh! Where’s my ticket to the day spa! Violent workout, massage, chocolate sundae. . . I have soooo much respect for people who choose to be school teachers. . . Or maybe they just didn’t know. . . .

Anyway, a little more about our day. The little kids had been acting up in all kinds of creative ways, boys fighting with PVC/noodle bats, we’d just gotten Tommy’s shoes all cleaned up, and him back to the grind, when we discovered that he’d stepped in it again! Apparently we’d missed another contribution from our feline friends. . . which I was once again obliged to scrub out of the rug.

For real?

I bought these shoes . . how many hours ago?!

Befuddled, exhausted, I stumbled around the house in a semi-conscious state, trying to make sense of it all. . . Dazed and confused, I fried up some hot dogs, and ran Laena to work. Charlie made an appearance. . . He took Tommy to check out a Tae Kwan Do class, and then it was off to Scouts! Turns out the campout this weekend has been postponed due to excessive rain. Big surprise there! It’s been raining every other day for about 3 weeks. It might as well be April!

The last thing I remember, Laena needed a ride home from Dairy Queen just after 11 pm. . . at night. . . . The baby was still awake, and he hadn’t even had a nap!

And people wonder why Mommys want to sleep in. . . Ha ha ha ha ha! : )

No comments: