Thursday, September 10, 2009

My Laenabug

If ever there was a girl. . .who personified ‘Sugar and Spice’. . .

We’re missing our baby girl, but we’re excited to see her fly. . . So much fun up there in Rexburg! Great roommates, cute apartment, beautiful campus. . . Can't beat it!

Monday, Labor Day, we dropped Laena off at BYU Idaho. We made the trip up with just her, Aleia, and baby Lincoln. Wish we’d been able to take the whole family, but the boys had flags, and Jeffy wanted to stay with Evan. . . Plus our Suburban’s still not quite ready to go. . .

It was somewhat surreal. . .  Kind of a long drive. We actually ran into Charlie’s Uncle Tom and wife Denise at the family Restaurant in Blackfoot. The state fair is still going on, and things were hoppin’! Uncle Greg, who still runs the place, hooked us up with warm cinnamon rolls for the road. It was nice to see them again. Once in Rexburg, we pulled into the parking lot there at the Colonial House apartments, walked into the front office, and almost literally ran into Charlie’s boss, Jeff Edwards! Turns out, their daughter Becca will be living not only in the same complex, but next door to our Laenabug! : ) What are the odds!

After checking Laena in, and listening briefly to some valuable advice about boys from her fabulous overseer/house mother, Faith, we started unpacking the car. . . Lea and Lincoln had a great time helping carry little things up the stairs, Binky as fast as his 2-year-old legs would let him. . . : ) So cute! Laena’s on the 3rd floor, smack in the middle of the complex. Fantastic view! We got to meet some of her roommates, Britney, Auslinn, and Sydney. Laena is sharing a room with Auslinn, who is about the most perfect, sweet ‘roomy’ a mother could hope for. It’s a bittersweet experience, dropping your kid off at a University. . . Sigh.

I knew all this was coming. Laena’s been a big girl for a while now. . . but I didn’t think that it would come quite so soon. But there we were, off to lunch, and the Get Connected program! Twelve thousand kids out on the football field, in their I-Groups, playing “get to know you” games. :) It’s set up so beautifully up there. . . Nothing is left to chance! Leaves you with a warm, comforting feeling. We were privileged to hear President Clark speak at the welcome assembly, first to everyone, and then just to the parents. . . I think my favorite part was during the ‘question and answer’ segment, when one gentleman stood up and expressed his ‘concerns’ about his daughter’s dismay upon discovering that she was not able to access Facebook from her dorm room. He was informed that the students would not have access to Facebook, and other such websites, on campus, until after 6 pm during the week. Open-mouthed You should have heard the applause! Smiles broke out, faces lit up, parents stood and cheered! If anyone in the crowd had been hesitant before, they now support President Clark, and the staff at Brigham Young North, one hundred percent! Hilarious! : )

Later, we dropped by Wal-Mart, where we briefly lost the Binky. Talk about scary! Eight thousand people in there, college kids everywhere, picking out bed sheets and last minute items. . . It had to have been the busiest day of the year. But we found him, and got what we needed. Aleia insisted on buying Laena a Beta Fish, ‘to remember us by’. . . We picked up a glass bowl and some pretty rocks to go with. : ) A trip to the local grocery outlet, to familiarize the Boogsie with her options, a jog past Sonic for some grilled cheese and a lime slushy, and it was just about time to go. . . She was all squared away, nothing left to do but to give hugs, and say goodbye. It still didn’t seem real when we left her unpacking dishes at her new apartment. . . She seemed okay. . . A wave and a smile, and we were out the door. Aleia made us run back inside for one last smooch.

You can see the temple for quite a ways, when you’re pulling out of Rexburg, and onto the freeway. . . Charlie was comforted by this. Such a good environment for young peeps, for anyone really. . .

Just as we were getting up to speed, settling in for the drive back, the Binky recognized an empty seat, and bewailed Laena’s absence with his plaintive whine.

“Naena!”

And a very deliberate

“Waaahhhh. . . ”

She was gone.

It didn’t hit me until later. I guess I was still euphoric about her choice of school, and still am, for the record. But when I opened her bedroom door, after saying good night to the boys, and she wasn’t there. . . That’s when it hit me. Like a ton of bricks. Laena was gone. Someone said last Sunday that they never come back the same. . . We have a picture of her, as a tiny four year old, sleeping in her toddler bed. For some reason, I couldn’t get that image out of my head.

An hour later, I was still awake. It’s terribly quiet in our home after everyone finally calms down and passes out. . . I got up and wandered into the living room, The bathroom light was on, which gave me something to work with, and I could see her picture on the piano, with everything else, just sitting there in it’s silver frame, like nothing had happened. I curled up on the couch, and looked around. We have a picture of the Savior, with his arm around a little child, centered on the wall opposite. Below the picture, inscribed in brass, is the quote: “Teach me to walk in Your light.” I guess that’s the question, isn’t it? When our children finally go, we ask ourselves. . . Is she ready to face the world? Have we taught her all she needs to know? Have we taught her of Christ.

And this was it. This was the night. Our golden haired baby girl is all grown up, and off to college. I guess all we can do now is be there for her, and help her when she needs it. The time to teach is over. All sorts of thoughts and feelings flooded my mind and heart. Had I prepared my daughter for all that she would face? Our golden angel had flown away. We would both have to rely on a higher power now. On faith and love. . . I kept seeing that picture of her, asleep, clutching her pink bunny. . . just a baby child. Time is something that I don’t entirely understand. Tears made their way silently down my cheeks. My baby girl was gone.

I sat there in the dark, hugged my pillow, and wished her four again.

Silence can be overwhelming.

5 comments:

marcie said...

Such a bittersweet moment... You've captured it well with your post here. I remember the night we moved in across the street and there she was, chattering about a million miles a minute the second we took our first box into the house. Such a sweet girl. She'll do great. I already do not look forward to that day when mine are all grown up. It's like I already miss them and they're still little. Weird, I know... but I get a small sense of how you feel. Keep your chin up. You've done well :)

Charlie said...

Marcie, you're the best! : ) Thanks for the memories. I hope this wasn't too mushy, but I figured if I didn't write it now, I probably never would. It IS exciting to see your children progress. . . It's just weird when they're so big and so far away.

Laura said...

Oh, you about made me cry. SO well written. I am going to be so sad when my kids are gone.......makes you want to enjoy every moment.

Amy Mason said...

Oops! Guess I was on Charlie's account when I commented earlier! Hee hee! Wow, yeah, time, it sure does fly!

Ben said...

Haha, for a second there you made me think Charlie was your ghost writer. Just kidding. Well, Laena's in a good place, I think she'll do well. Good post.