Thursday, September 3, 2009

A Necessary Evil

Last Wednesday, I was subjected to my first Arithmetic instruction in over 20 years.

Math class. Bleck!

Some people say, a necessary evil. . . I disagree. Having resigned myself to the task, however, and having driven all the way to campus, I located (dragged myself to) the correct building, and gingerly searched for the classroom, noticing to my chagrin that the place literally smelled like Math. Everything was square, and bare, and beige and BROWN. There ought to be a law. No personality, no color, no fun. I HATE MATH. If every right brained person this side of the planet got together and migrated to some other galaxy, I’d be okay with that! Sigh. Well, okay I suppose we need them, because somebody’s got to do all the dirty work, but cold calculations are just. . . so clinical! I loathe and despise them. “With a fiery loathing passion!” as Laena would say. That is correct, sir! There simply is no good reason for a Visual Arts major to be required to endure . . math. Ick.

3 comments:

Ben said...

Were you adopted? Also, right-brained are the artsy people and left-brained are the logical, mathematical, etc (looked like you switched them, maybe not), and I don't really want all the right-brained people to leave because I think I'm close to half'n'half, which would mean I would somehow have to send half of me to a different galaxy, which could be difficult...

NaRhea Thornock said...

I totally hear you there... Apparently we need to know fractions and ratios for my pharmacy class, and lo and behold here I am learning about fractions for the first time since the 3rd grade. Who knew you would have to use that stuff? :)

Amy Mason said...

Woopsie! : ) So I got it 'right'. Sometimes it feels like I might have been adopted. . . Math just ain't my thing. And Narhea, no kidding! But I guess if you're going into nursing, you'll have to endure. Yick!