Thursday, March 27, 2008

Fruit Snacks and Easter Grass

I don't know about you, but I just can't believe how much sugar is being thrown at our kids these days. All year round! It's not just at Christmas and Easter, it's ALL THE TIME. There always seems to be something . . some holiday, some reason to give our children candy. Candy, candy, and more candy. How's a person supposed to diet and avoid sugar with all this candy all over the place!? Thank Heaven some of the neighborhood kids helped ours wolf through their Easter stash at super speed. I wouldn't have been able to last 2 days. . . Not with Dove Chocolate, and 3 Musketeers, and the like floating around the house, completely accessible, tempting me with it's smooth. . . creaminess.

I also love jelly beans. : )

Good thing those Easter baskets were empty within about 48 hours. Great timing huh! Whew! Now I just get to look forward to the 3 weeks of picking Easter grass out of the rug, the laundry, everything. And all I have laying around to tempt me are M&M's and . . fruit snacks. Those sneaky fruit snacks! They're supposed to be 'good for you', but I think our highly intelligent/intuitive little children know better.

"Mommy, can I have some more candy?" whined Jeffy plaintively, after I'd given him one of those cute little plastic pouches of processed, prepackaged, sticky sugar goo-bots we call 'fruit snacks'.

"That's not candy!" I gasped, mortally offended, feigning shock and dismay. "They're FRUIT SNACKS!"

I looked at the ingredients. Yeah, fruit snacks made of 3 different kinds of sugar, and 2% fruit juice. And we're supposed to be excited about that?! 2% fruit juice. Resigned sigh. A fruit snack, I told myself, (because I'm stuck in convenient/denial land like everyone else), is maybe an APPLE, an ORANGE, or perhaps WATERMELON. Uh-huh. That's right. No cane sugar in THERE!

Time to engage the ol' brain, Mama, and purchase some good, old fashioned. . produce. You heard me, I said it. Fruit. And veggies. It really wouldn't hurt us either, Mama and Daddy, since we are fast approaching old and gray, fat and forty. . . Just kidding. We're really not that. . . gray. : ) A friend of my husband's recently said to him: "Hey, you can be fat and 40, or you can be fit and 40." Hee hee hee. Sure. Not with all those yummy peanut M&M's staring me in the face, in the attractive little pint-sized Mason jars I've got sitting around the house. . . Sigh. I'm just as bad as anybody.

Guess it's back to the gym for me! ; ) Time to kick in some discipline. And no more fruit snacks. Sob, whine, sniffle.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Yeah, we refuse to buy the Easter grass, as it has taken me months to get that stuff out of our house. What a nightmare. I am with you, too many treats. They also create so many messes with my little ones.

Ben said...

I support your decision to eat more fruit and vegetables, you won't be disappointed.