Tuesday, May 6, 2008

She's 8 Years Old, and I Never Got Sleep

Last Saturday Aleia was baptized. She is now an official member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  : ) I still can't believe she's eight. Anyway, things went well, we had a lot of family and friends show up, and the weather was perfect. We finally got the key to the 'Bowery' out back, behind our church, where we had quite a fun 'picnic' after the fact. . . except we weren't sitting on blankets spread over the grass. . . which is just fine with me! I love picnics, and warm Spring weather, but I also enjoy shade. Especially since all of us are so fair-skinned. Is that a word? Charlie's half Swedish, and my dad, at one time, had red hair also. We have 4 red-headed children, so we try to stay out of the sun as much as we can. . . We tend to fry like little. . . fried potatoes.  : ) Not so much fun. .


Then yesterday Lincoln had his 18 month check-up, which of course included shots. I hate shots. I'm usually the one crumpled in the corner, once again, sobbing, while Charlie holds the little guys. .  although there have been many times in the past when I've held them on my lap, while the nurse stabbed their chubby little legs. (Shudder) Not my idea of a good time. I suppose it's a necessary evil. . . Sigh. Actually, this time wasn't so bad. Binky only cried for a minute, and has been basically fine ever since. I'm SO glad that he's finally over this stinkin' virus. Five days of high-pitched screaming, and no sleep. . . Party, party! I'm really ready for some peace and quiet. . . Maybe a NAP. We'll see how things go. . Here's hoping! Whoo-hoo! A revelation! It's Mother's Day on Sunday, so I may get some shut-eye after all. . .    : )

 

It is incredibly frustrating, not so fulfilling, when you take your sick child to the doctor, sure that he has a raging ear infection. . You lay down the $20 co-pay, and they tell you that he's fine, that he's just picked up some virus that's going around. . . Then they suggest that maybe you should take him home and give him some Tylenol. Really? Kinda already did that. . . I think we took the Binky in 3X just in the past 2 weeks. My sense of humor has been waning fast, running out of batteries. Thank Heaven the little guy's finally starting to feel better. Our doctor has a script that he's memorized. It pretty much goes like this. "So Lincoln's the trouble-maker today. . ." Big grin, polite belly laugh. And then, a couple of minutes later. "Well, the good news is - it's just a virus. And the bad news is it's just a virus." Polite, amused chuckle. "He'll get better all by himself and won't need an anti-biotic." And we smile half-heartedly, groan inwardly, and head off to the store to pick up more juice.

No comments: