Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Whenever I See A Sunflower

Goodbye America. Mi hermana, mi amor. Te amare' siempe. I will love you always.

We first met Glenn and America LaPointe probably 10 years ago, maybe more, when Charlie was driving truck for Coca-Cola. Glenn still is. He and Charlie immediately hit it off, and we decided to go out for Mexican. Over the years, we've spent a fair amount of time together, barbecues at their place, enchiladas at ours. . . D & D club get-togethers for the super-nerds. Star Wars marathons planned. . . Every year we'd see them at Lagoon on Coke lagoon Day, and we'd hook up and hang out. It was so funny to see America roll her eyes and talk about these annoying Mexicans who won't learn the language. She's about as ethnic as they come. : ) What a sweetheart! Always talking about 'my husband', and calling him 'My Love'. Her whole house was decorated with babies and sunflowers. Anne Geddes, and little antique tricycles made out of/fashioned from old rusted metal. . . America was a breath of fresh air.

America was a crack up. She made people laugh. Like the time she asked the Relief Society president if she could bring wine to the activity they'd invited her to. : ) I will always treasure the memory of Adrienne's baptism, and other special times. So many memories. We have some cute pictures of Tommy playing with your dog, Rocket. America was a good friend.

She joked that people expected her sisters to be named Liberty and Europa, or something like that. In reality, it's Patty, and the older one. . . I can't remember her name. But I will always remember America. So full of love. Such a good Mama. She loved her girls, and she loved her husband, Glenn. I'm so happy that we got to be there when they went through the temple in 2005. It's such a comfort to know that her dream was realized that day, the dream of uniting her family for eternity.

Where ever I end up, I hope it's where you are, mi hermana. 

America.

No comments: