Thursday, April 30, 2009

Last Thursday

Last Thursday, I fell sucker to the pleas of our 9 year old chickeepoo, and consented to bring Jaguar the Cat to school for Show and Tell'. Not so sure that this was a good idea, I attached a leash to his collar, in the hopes that I'd more effectively be able to control the kitty while at the school, or at least wouldn't lose it. . . As luck would have it, naturally the little bugger hated that leash, and refused to move while so tethered. Also didn't like the car ride, I discovered on the way over, and certainly not the bulldog who happened to be out front with it's owner, waiting for school to be let out. At this point, Jaguar was pretty on edge, and sure didn't need to be pawed by 25 8/9 year olds in an unfamiliar environment. I was a little nervous to let them pet our kitty, as nervous as he was. . . To add insult to injury, when the kids were finally finished with him, and he'd found a nice cool spot behind a plastic drawer, I was forced to drag him right back out of there, in order to beat the rush, and get him back home. Tooth and nail does not accurately describe the protest exhibited by that 'feline fur-ball', as Eric likes to call him. I'm gonna go with his other favorite name: "Bad Luck on 4 Legs". When the final bell rang, I was disastrously still in the classroom, and just barely made it out, hurriedly, with Aleia in tow. . . just ahead of the rush. We did still encounter quite a few eager children on the way out, all of whom wanted to pet the kitty.

"Awww, so cute! Can I pet him?" was the request 50 x over. I had to keep repeating the same line: "Well, he's a bit nervous right now, (as he climbed up my shirt and clawed frantically at my neck), he might scratch you, and I wouldn't want anybody to get hurt. . ." complete with a big smile.

How do I get myself into these situations? It's unbelievable. That kid bats her eyes at me, and I melt and go along. . .

When, oh when, will I ever learn?! The next time somebody wants to bring a pet to school, it's either gonna be in a wire cage of some sort, with the door latched securely SHUT, or stuffed! : )

No comments: