Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Sunrise, Sunset

Last night about dinner time, as I walked in the front door of our home, I noticed . . that right at that moment, most everybody was gone. Laena was over at Trevor's, supposedly for drum lessons, Clint was heading over to the Dance Company performance at the high school, straight from work, Eric was still at Track practice, and Tommy was working out downstairs. I'd just dropped Aleia off at soccer practice, Jeffy was with his dad at the big T-ball game, and I was left with one irritable 2-year old, and a lot of semi-foreboding, pseudo-quiet.

Is this what it's like your children grow up, and slowly phase out of your personal space? I don't know if I like it.

Change.

That's what it's called, and I don't know if I'm prepared. When we got back from the big Choir Tour field trip late Sunday night/early Monday morning, I realized that this was Laena's . . last . . one. Sigh. Talk about a sense of closure. Graduation's coming up, Prom is this weekend, college, summer camps, soccer and swimming. . . It's all part of the adventure, but I'm still torn. I get the feeling that our kidlets are slowly pulling away from us, and there's nothing I can do about it. I suppose I should just sit back and watch, and enjoy the show, but it sure is hard some days. . . I mean, who knows! It's not too unrealistic to assume that our Laenabug could be hitched up and settled down sometime in the not too distant future. Heck, in 5 years time, we could be grandparents! Aaaaaahhhhhh! So what do we do now? Do we have a couple more kids and continue with the game, or do we accept the fact that we're older than trees and just deal with it.

'It' being the coming of age. Yike!

I'm not sure that I'm ready for this. . . I'm still getting used to having teenagers, for Pete's sake! Just yesterday, we learned that another one of Laena's friends had gotten married! Pictures and everything, staring us in the face. It's just disturbing. And time marches on. . . seems to be speeding up, in fact! The older you get, the faster it goes. I guess that's the way it was all set up, in the great wisdom of the Universe, but some days I want to grab the reigns, and pull back hard. I just figured out how to enjoy my babies, and now they're, like, BIG!? Are you kidding me? We've gotta figure out some way to slow it all down. Big sigh. Hey, if you hear of anything, out there on the market, let me know. Time is flying by. . . We should probably just pick up some lawn chairs, settle down on the front porch, sit back and enjoy the ride. . . but you know I'm not that kinda gal. : )

1 comment:

Ben said...

Swifty flow the years. Seedlings turn overnight to sunflowers, blossoming even as we gaze.