Friday, October 24, 2008

Back Rubs and 'Smart Cars'

Earlier today I was picking Tommy up from his piano lesson. He mentioned something about needing a back rub. It went something like this:

"Aarrgh. ." (stretching) "I need a massage."
"Really. . Piano lessons that rough today?" (Ha ha) "Hey, Jenny gives back rubs. . . 'Course she's down in Springville. ."
"Jenny. . ."
"Yeah! You could give her a call. . ."
" 'Jenny' ", he warbled in his best grown voice. " 'Could you come up and give me a massage?' (More stretching and grinning) We were driving now. . " 'And could I get some fries with that?' Ha ha ha."

Tommy is such a little jokester. : ) Like father, like son. . .

One minute later, we had to stop for a red light. Across the intersection, directly in front of us, a couple of cars back, sat one of those 'smart cars'. It seemed oddly out of place, like an over-zealous 8th grader at the Senior Prom. I snorted audibly. Or maybe it was more of a chuckle.

"What?" Tommy asked tentatively. .
"Look at that tiny little car." I snickered.
"Where?" For all his quippy little comebacks, he sometimes doesn't catch on right away. It was bright yellow, for Pete's sake! If not incredibly small. . .
"Are you kidding me?" I gestured toward it with my left hand. "That crunch-box of a roller skate! There! Across the street! I was thoroughly amused. "How can you miss that?"
He caught a glimpse of it and grinned. It' s fun to tease Tommy. He's a hoot. :)
"It's a good thing we're not driving the Suburban, on a dark and stormy night. . . If we hit it, it'd be like, 'Look, another squished soda can! That's one crusty piece of metal! Boy, oh Boy!' "
That's my Tommy! He's just cute. : )

Sigh.

And I'm just tired. So we'll see ya later! Signing off for now. . .

I think I could use a back rub. . . "Jeeennnnyyyy!"

No comments: