Sunday, October 5, 2008

My Friend the Snail, Fat Pumpkins, and Freeway Adventures!

Yesterday, we were watching General Conference. Jeffy didn't want to come indoors. It was raining, and I told him to come in immediately, or pay the consequences. "But I have to help my friend." he said irritably, slightly distressed. "What friend?" I asked, somewhat bewildered, but ready for just about anything. "My snail friend." he explained. Well, of course. It had been raining all day. Naturally the snails would come out. . . I chuckled to myself. I loved to play with snails when I was a little kid. 'Course those ones usually had shells on them. . . I thought, as he showed me a small slug in a paper cup. His 'friend'. : ) How freakin' adorable!

Later yesterday afternoon, we we're headed to the grocery store with Daddy, to grab some last minute weekend stuff. Lea saw the pumpkin/straw display from the street. The kids were excited as we passed the large bin of pumpkins the store had placed strategically by the door.  "I want a pumpkin!" Aleia demanded emphatically. "We just got one yesterday. . " I pointed out, trying to herd them into the store and out of the rain. "That one's mine!" yelled Jefferson, bouncing around us. "But Jeffy's is skinny. I want a fat pumpkin!" Lea clarified with energy. She grabbed at one of the orange gourds. I reached to help her, and discovered and unusually squatty vegetable. "{This one is pretty fat. . " picked it up tentatively. "But it's ugly!"she exclaimed."No, I want this one. . " Aleia and her little brother scrambled around the bin, Jeffy attempting to climb in it at one point. None of this surprised me at all. Charlie, who had, by this time fetched a cart, and wanted to get going, was mildly annoyed. Couldn't really blame him. . He'd been up since 3 am, fighting the rain up and down the mountain in an 18-wheeler. Twice. What a man!

Just now, Charlie called from somewhere south of Lehi. He's with his brother Calvin, who is in the process of moving to Idaho from Oak City, down in the Fillmore area. . Jeffy got excited when he knew it was Daddy, and insisted on saying hi, as usual. When they were done chatting, I took the phone back, and proceeded with the traditional small talk. "Are you guys fuelin' up, getting gas?" I asked casually, wondering why they'd stopped again so soon. "No. . Actually, we're getting a ticket. ." I could hear Charlie's wry amusement in his chipper tone. After laughing hysterically for a minute or so, we said our goodbyes. . . ("I have to go. . . ") to the tune of a policeman's brusque salutations. " . . need to see your license, registration, proof of insurance. . " I could hear him rattle off quickly in the background. . Turns out the cop was a pretty nice guy. . . He let Calvin keep his truck. : ) Now Charlie's driving. . .

A little update: They're currently stuck in gridlock, waiting for an accident to be cleared away. . less than half a mile in front of them. Sigh. 2 hours of adventures in the time it would've taken them to get down there and start loading up! Hmmmm. Ah, well. . this way Charlie gets to spend some quality time with his little bro. . chit chat and radiate some brotherly love! Good times! : )

Yeah.

No comments: