Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Truck Heaven

Yeah.

Tonight I got to run errands with my man Charlie. . . In his 'project truck'. The 'Slave Ten.'

I was less than excited. Laena had a hot date with Marcus, and she had taken my car.

Charlie's in the middle of 'shaving the door handles' on his S10, for whatever purpose I've yet to figure out. We hafta open the driver's side door with a screw driver, or some such similar object. Tonight it was the crank on the jack that happened to be in the back of the truck. (Oy.) And the passenger door HAS no door handle.

I view the whole situation with a certain. . . shall we say . . incredulity. (Resigned chuckle.)

"Ya know, not every girl gets to ride in a truck like this. . ." He grinned as we pulled out of the parking lot over at Auto Zone. "You could be in that tall, white truck over there. . . With AC. . . and leather seats. . ."

"And door handles." I commented, smirking, my voice thick with sarcasm.

He pretended to pout.

"I feel unappreciated."

I rolled my eyes, exhaling irritably. But it was just for show. We've been down this road a thousand times. We've memorized all the lines. . Quippy remarks, and emotional boundaries.

"This truck feels . . sorta rickety. . . " I commented with a tentative edge to my voice. (Charlie's so much fun to tease.) "I think it's time for a new truck."  : )

He smiled, and pretended to choke out a horrified gasp.

"I love this truck!" He said with some feeling. He patted the dash affectionately.

Sigh.

I suppose I should just admit it. We both know that he will never part with his true love, his Bounty Hunter mini-truck. He said the other day . . that he wants to be buried in it. (Yike.) If given the opportunity, I don't know if I'd comply with his wishes. I'm not sure that I want to have to deal with that piece of junk in the hereafter. . .

But I guess he'd be happier, knowing that his 'baby' would be with him always. . .

Somewhere, in the great beyond, I bet a lot of men wish there was a . . Truck Heaven. Tongue out

An afterthought:

Charlie just came in the door. Apparently he and Jefferson had just taken a short, leisurely stroll across the sky-walk over by the middle school.

This was his comment:

"Hey Honey. . .You know, someday, when my dreams come true, and I have air-suspension, I want you to hop up on that sky walk and take a video of me . . draggin' the truck. . . ." (Contented sigh.) "Aww yeah. . ."

At this point he smiled wistfully, a blissful, almost goofy expression taking over his 'grill', shall we say. Oh brother.

I can only sigh, and agree with his confused co-workers. . .

"Wh-where do ya live. . .?!"

Ha ha ha.

No comments: