Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Bit of Mama's Americana

T'other day we took the kids swimming at Classic used-to-be Skating. Well, actually I . . . took the kids swimming. . . Laena was there to help out, which was nice. She even got us pizza, and a pitcher of pop! She gets a discount, of course. We had a great time. It was fun, it was real . . it was real fun, real fun in the sun. . . which would explain our ridiculous sunburns. But I'm thinking Laena should comp the pizza, considering the freaking taxi service that I have become, going back and forth to that blasted place, twice a day a lot of the time!And don't get me wrong, I love to skate, and I really enjoy sitting by the pool. But it's 15 or 20 minutes one way, depending on the traffic. . . And we know what gas prices are like! I think there should be some sort of an award. Maybe the 'Mommy with the Most Miles' . . award. : ) I should have a trophy made.

On a different note, the other day Jeffy spent a good deal of time drawing, with paper and crayons. I was sort of wound up, I guess you could say, in 'round up the kids and get 'em the heck into bed' mode. But he was concentrating so hard on his picture, he was actually holding still and being quiet. I didn't see him, didn't notice him sitting there by the piano bench. I guess I'm just used to looking for a streak of red and blue tee shirt as he dashes by, a flash from those light-up Iron Man shoes. . It was hard to recognize him when he wasn't running. : ) But anyway, it turned out that he was making a picture for us. His Mommy and Daddy.  : ) Awww. It was the most beautiful, colorful crayon drawing I've seen in a while. Rainbows, flowers with meticulously crafted petals, birds . . and trees. . . Sigh. I LOVE how optimistic the drawings of small children usually are. (Warm, faraway smile.) It's so refreshing, after all the junk that's thrown our way, on TV, and pretty much where ever we go, to see an uncluttered, clear and simple perspective. That's gonna be the theme of all the artwork in our home from now on.  : ) Crayons and paper, butterflies and bright blue sky. I've commissioned Aleia and Jefferson to create these types of masterpieces on a regular basis, so as to brighten up our world. Of course, I didn't have to . . . They make them all the time anyway, spontaneously, as little children do. : )

I'm sure you've got some too, posted up on the fridge. Stuck in place with some of those colored letter magnets. . .

No comments: