Monday, June 30, 2008

Stadium Of Fun. . . Sniff, Sniff

Earlier today, just before lunch, Charlie called me from work.

"I got tiiickets. . ." he sang. I could tell he was grinning.

My breath caught in my throat. He knew what I was thinking.

"To the Stadium of Fire?!?!" I managed to gasp out.

"No! To Poison!" (slight pause) "Tomorrow night." I couldn't tell if he was annoyed, or trying to sound matter-of-fact.

I thought I was going to kill him. I almost hung up.

He knows that we've all been dying to get tickets to the firework extravaganza down in Provo on the 4th. It's quite literally the hottest show this year. I still can't believe it. . .

The day was April 4th. Aleia's birthday party was in full swing. At the blinking Fun Center. Charlie had snuck home to try to buy tickets online. 5 o'clock rolls around. . . He had 2 computers going, the family computer on the desk, and then his laptop. We were all set up, in line, as it were, to pick up some quality seats to the big 4th of July performance! Naturally, as is tradition, just as we were getting close, the system shut down. Crashed, if you will. As it usually does with these wildly popular BYU events. Just as Lea was wanting her Daddy. There was nothing we could do. We might've had a shot if we'd been able to wrap up the party and come straight home. But you can't really bag your child's birthday party, before they've even cut the cake, for anything less than an emergency.

Sigh.

We were sunk.

There was nothing we could do.

And so, again, as in years past, we will probably end up sitting on the roof, hanging out at the City Park. . . setting up lawn chairs on the grass across the street from Cougar Stadium in Provo, (sad and pathetic as that may be), or chillin' with the neighbors in the circle, while we light store bought 'fire works' with the kids, and try to glimpse some of the production put on by the city, through the black network of tree branches that surrounds their homes.

Aaaaaahhhhhhh!

No comments: