Saturday, June 28, 2008

Popcorn Fest

Our kids love popcorn. They eat it almost every day. Maybe we've been watching too many movies. . .

Anyway, for the past 10 minutes or so, Jefferson and the baby have been battling over who gets to hold the bag of popcorn. I don't know why we didn't put it in a bowl. . After a while, I'd had enough of the baby's crying and whimpering. His pathetic whining and enraged screaming finally got to me.

"Let him hold the bag!" I commanded.

Jeffy, violently indignant, protested with passion.

"But Mama! He'll spill it everywhere! And I had it first!"

Mr. Pouty Face made a good case, but as most parents will understand, a person can only stand so much high-pitched screaming.

Bill Cosby was right. Children want justice. Parents just want a little peace and quiet.

"Let him have it NOW." I reiterated vehemently. "I've got to have some QUIET!"

Ah, yes I know. The irony. . .

Naturally, within a minute or so, Baby Lincoln had dumped the popcorn in a nice pile in the middle of the living room floor. Can't say that I didn't see that one coming. . . But you've gotta draw the line somewhere with all the blinking NOISE.

"Auggghh. . ." I groaned. "Why do you kids always have to dump things on the floor?!"

"I'll vacuum it up!" volunteered big sister Aleia cheerfully. (Bit uncharacteristic, though. I can't get her to clean her room. . .) Little girls, going into 3rd grade, love to do housework. Unfortunately, when they're older, and can actually help out with the household chores, they're not quite so interested. . .

"You don't understand! You have to pick it up. The pieces are too big. The vacuum's half broken as it is. It can't handle whole pieces of popcorn like that. . . "

"Then we'll crunch it up!" offered Jefferson enthusiastically, and helpful as he is, he immediately proceeded to stomp the remainder of the now scattered popcorn into the rug.  : )

Such is the story of my life. . . There really are no words. . .

No comments: