Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Sweet Summer Days. . .

Yesterday, my son discovered Facebook. Sigh. I suppose it could be worse. He could've wanted to try 'my space.' Then there would've been words. . Anyway, here we go with the constant text-messaging, emailing, contacting, distracting, 24 hours a day. . kids, kids, kids, friends, friends, friends. Aaahhhhh!  : ) Such is the life of a high-schooler these days. . . And we're in the thick of it.

We now have 4, count them, yes I said 4, teenagers in our home. I freeze momentarily at the thought. Could this be . . real?!

Big, exhausted sigh. I guess it is.

Our son Tommy, the Tominator, recently turned 13. At the beginning of June. The 5th, to be exact. So now it's 2 to 1. Them and us. And that doesn't even count the little kids. . . take them into consideration. . . A neighbor said to me just yesterday "I don't know how you do it!" I told her I didn't either. She had about had it with all of her kids, and I think they numbered up to . . 4. I guess some days, most days, it's all about survival. It's been SO nice to have EFY the last couple of weeks for the big kids to go to. Camp Tomahawk, East fork of the Bear River. . . Organized, structured activities. . . If we can just keep feeding them these types of uplifting past times, just until August, I might be able to retain my sanity! To hold on to some semblance of my original personality.  : ) Is that wrong of me, to want a break? I think not. I learned, last year, that it's not good for adolescents to have a lot of free time on their hands, especially during the hot summer months. At least not our adolescents. I think that the heat goes to their heads, and their minds start to wander. . . (small shudder). It's also fan-spankin'-tastic that their father motivated those boys to both get jobs already. Whew. What a relief. To have them in my face all the day long, to have to be responsible to entertain them, to keep them out of trouble, and especially to keep them from constantly picking fights with one another. . .well, it's just not up my alley, my thing, my forte.

I mean, I can be pretty scrappy, I know, but all of them at once. . some days it's just too much. (Perhaps we've overestimated our parenting abilities. . Maybe we should've stuck with the original plan. . . But nah. . Where would be the fun in that! )  Open-mouthed 

Thank heaven for church camps, for neighborhood activities, for local fast food restaurants, for Scouting events. . . Oh yeah Baby!   : )  It's ALL good!

To update: This week, Tommy is off with his Dad, the Scoutmaster, to Boy Scout Camp up in Northern Utah. . . And then Wednesday, Charlie comes back, and leaves with the twins for yet another adventure down at Lake Powell. They'll be back Saturday night. Late.  : )  Tommy sometime that same day. I'm gonna miss Charlie, but it's great that he and the boys get to have these experiences, and I get to have some freaking peace and quiet!   : )  At least when Laena's at work, and the little kids are out back playing with friends. . .  Hmmm. Contented sigh.

Ah, sweet, sweet Summer days. . .   : )

No comments: