Friday, February 15, 2008

We Just . . Take the Cake

The other day, at the high school band concert, I discovered how truly innovative my boys really are. . . The one participating wanted to leave early, and apparently also wanted food. His brother was fine with that, the box of Cheez-its he carried being almost . . all gone. Drummer Boy led us back to the commons area where all the grub (refreshments) from the parent reception were still laid out. The only other person there was a stray high school kid, a lone student, leaning up against the wall, chatting on his cell phone. My boys' eyes shone. We could still hear one of the bands playing, far away, in the gym. They never should've left those defenseless munchies unattended. . .

After a couple of minutes of unashamed snarfing, I snagged some cookies for the little kids and suggested that maybe it was time to head home. "Sure, in a minute." was the response. Finally Clint and I decided to leave. Tommy lagged behind. We were halfway down the long hallway before he rounded the corner and reappeared, carrying the Cheez-its box carefully, hugging it to his chest with his right arm. He grinned. Instantly, I knew what he had done.

"I'm a genius! I announce it to the world!" he remarked boldly when he had caught up to us. "I'm so glad we brought the Cheez-its."

Of course he was. : ) I made a face at him, disapproving, hands on hips. The cracker box was packed full of goodies. Goodies he'd kifed from the spread down the hall. I'm just glad we were spared the humiliation of anyone else witnessing this blatant pillaging/extravagance. No one saw him do it. No one, that is, but that dark haired kid, standing there by the pillar. . . Hmmm.

I wondered/hesitated for a split second. Should we grab him and toss him in a locker? Should I have Clint tackle him and offer him a bribe to keep quiet? Or should we just let him stand there snickering, no doubt spilling the beans about our uncouth behavior and lack of stealth to . . . whomever it was . . he was talking to.

I sighed deeply, turned, and kept walking. There was no fighting it. The legendary Mason Clan had done it again. : )

Driving home, I had flashbacks about the school Fun Fair in 2nd grade, when my entire family had joined the cake walk at the same time. . . How embarrassing! I remember my parents laughing and my brothers giggling, as we shamelessly dominated the game. We couldn't help but win. . . every single time. . .

: )

No comments: