Thursday, January 17, 2008

Strep Throat Mania

Both our girls contracted strep throat over Christmas vacation. How they managed to synchronize their schedules, I don't know. Our 7 yr old, Aleia, has picked it up 3 times in the last 6 weeks. She said this morning that she thought she had it again, and looking at her flushed cheeks and tired, bloodshot eyes, I didn't doubt her words. I drove her to the doctor, after dropping her little brother off at preschool, and laughed myself into hysterics listening to Glenn Beck's take on amnesia, God's gift to women who've given birth previously.

Of course, Lea's throat swab came up positive, AGAIN, and now they're telling us that she might be a 'carrier' of strep. This I've never heard of before. And to think that I thought I was pretty. . well informed, educated, if you will, about early childhood ailments. After all, I have been hanging around pediatrician's offices for quite a few years now. Apparently, sometimes the strep germs kinda hunker down there in the tonsils, where the antibiotics can't quite get to them, and then, the tonsils. . have to come out. Sigh. All of this, all of these . . bouts with whatever. . The medical bills are about killing us off. I probably shouldn't add up all of the times our kids have had ear infections, croup, stitches, pneumonia, broken noses, trips to the ER, bizarre hospitalizations, crunch fractures . . . Wow. I'm actually getting misty. . . Sniff, sniff. Warm smile. I wouldn't trade it. Such is the staff, I mean the stuff. . . of life. Some of my fondest memories are of softly lit hospital rooms, where I've been given the opportunity to hold close a tiny new companion, a small piece of my heart that somehow still beats outside of my body, a baby. The most beautiful of all the miracles of creation. So, Glenn, it is worth all the screaming, and the clawing . . . of your eyes out, all you men.

Medical . . . experiences . . are not always so bad. We understand, don't we girls. : ) Much love.

No comments: