Tuesday, January 29, 2008

President Gordon B. Hinckley

January 27th, 2008 Sunday


Today Aleia gave a talk in Primary, Charlie and I said the prayers in Sacrament Meeting, and about 9-ish, Daddy called and told us that President Gordon B. Hinckley had passed away. Apparently my little sister Annie's former BYU roommate had sent her an email immediately after it was announced. Word spread like wildfire, kids texting and emailing each other, the news flying through the western states, the nation and the world. Yesterday, all the LDS kids -at least the ones who heard in time- in Utah, Idaho, Arizona, Nevada, and California, wore their Sunday best, to school, in honor of the memory of their beloved prophet. I wonder if it surprises President Hinckley at all to know that children and young people everywhere loved, respected, and revered him so much. I will admit that I shed more than a few tears at his passing. As joyous as it is that he lived such a wonderful, productive, inspiring life, that he left such an amazing, unbelievable legacy. . . we left here on earth will miss him, will feel a void of sorts, a powerful presence gone. A presence of good, an example of humility, of strength, of conviction. One of the most inspiring people that I will ever be privileged to know has moved on, and left us all better people for having known him. He has buoyed the hearts of the men and women of our faith and of the world, and he has strengthened and inspired the Youth. That, in today's tumultuous society, is an unfathomable achievement, with far reaching influence. I will ever be grateful, that I was blessed to live in the time of the LDS Prophet, the humble man, devoted husband and father, friend and brother, the Inspiration of the rising generation, my own children included, President Gordon B. Hinckley. He inspires me, personally, to do better, and to be better, as he frequently encouraged. My only regret is that I never got to shake his hand. I did, however, get to see him in person last Spring, at my brother's 2nd BYU graduation, leading Vice President Richard Cheney into the Marriott Center forum amid thunderous applause. He brought the house down. A roar erupted from the crowd of tens of thousands that did not abate for several minutes, and then only at the quiet encouragement of those we so respect. Words were not necessary. I was overcome. I'll never forget that sound. . unabashed joy, reverence, exultation, the triumph of accomplishment . . . I want to read and own all of his works, his books, his publications. And not because of the applause. Because of his humble example, his legacy of courage, honor, dedication, and tireless service to the people of our church, and the world. We will miss his wit and wisdom, but we will benefit, the world over, from the heritage that he left us. I think that I, and my children, are, and always will be, better people for having ever known of that great man, gentle leader, and latter-day prophet, President Gordon B. Hinckley. He was an amazing man. A living example of small and simple things bringing great things to fruition. The temples, the history, the love, the unwavering faith that he left us. All will be remembered.

No comments: