Tuesday, January 15, 2008

How Do You Do It?

People ask me how I do it with 7 kids. I tell them I don't. My house is not spotless, as it probably should be. Too many people . . . live here. My hands are full, and there is simply not enough time in the day. Some days I wonder if I'll end up in the nut farm. Some days I'd welcome the vacation time. I don't know where it will end, or how we'll all end up, but I'm pretty sure, when this crazy ride is over, that I'll feel like it was worth it. I mean really, what does it matter. . . all the diapers and the chaos and the mess and the headaches, if you're kids turn out . . . really okay. That's saying something here in today's society.

Charlie's angel Grandma Doris had a favorite saying that I think ended up on her gravestone. "One day at a time." We've all heard it before. . . but once again, when this wisdom was imparted to me, I wasn't paying attention, and I don't think that I fully understood the long-term benefits of this perspective. Patience is certainly involved, among other things. Sigh. She said "This is the best time of your life!" Unfortunately, I lacked the proper perspective. I couldn't see afar off. "Sure, whatever." I thought. I had 3 kids in diapers for 2 1/2 years straight, for the love of Pete! (How did that work?). . . Regardless, I often wish I could go back in time and relive those early days with our 'triplets', absorbing every moment, instead of wishing the time would go faster. Because, sadly, some days it does. . . and then it's over. . and they're gone. Ouch.

May we all remember to take one day at a time . . or some days, ten minutes at a time, the way Grandma Doris did, and never set at naught the quiet wisdom of the aged.

No comments: