Friday, April 18, 2008

Writing - Not My First Love

Okay, here it is. . .

For the past few months, I've been working on doing some writing. I've written a few articles, a couple of stories, and I've even got an idea for a book. So far, it's been slow going. I did sell one of my stories, but it seems like it's taking FOREVER to get anything done.

For instance, right now, our 2 little boys are literally climbing all over me as I try to sit at the computer and type. Yeah, try getting anything done with a screaming, irritable 18-month-old attached to your left arm. I'm getting pretty good at typing one-handed. . . : )

It seems like the only time I ever have any peace and quiet is in the early morning hours, before the kids wake up, when I should be sleeping. So I jot some stuff down, and then later, after everyone's off to school and/or work, and breakfast is over, etc, I attempt to type some stuff up, get some stuff done.

Sure.

Sometime around the middle part of the day, either before or after lunch, and, of course, in between errands, perhaps after some half-hearted house cleaning, the baby finally nods off and takes a nap. Yawn. So I get maybe an hour or so in the middle of the day, if I'm lucky, and Jeffy's in a good mood. He usually is, thankfully, so I generally manage to stay awake long enough to get something down 'on paper', if you will. . .

But goodness, writing takes a lot of TIME. Not kidding. It requires an insane amount of concentration to organize ideas, think up new stuff, and then organize it again. . . And that only happens if there are very few distractions. Cause if you're interrupted, then you have to go back, regroup, and start all over again. . .

: )

So we'll see what happens. . . Chances are I'll get a manuscript in to some publisher. . sometime before I'm 45. Ha ha ha.

Sigh.

I guess that's the way it goes. But as we all know, when you're a Mama, your life is not your own. You have very little time to yourself, projects get put on the back burner, and frankly, I'm okay with that. I'd rather invest time with my kids, developing quality relationships and making memories, than sell 14 different best sellers and receive the praises of men. : ) Besides, writing's not my first love. It's just convenient. I'd much rather be out in 'the field' somewhere taking pictures of panoramic mountain ranges, or some similar glorious work of the Master, maybe at sunrise . . .

Absolutely! And THAT, my friends, is where it's at! What a rush, capturing time. . .

No comments: